Joint Effort
Greetings people of this world,
I had the chance to attend a few classes at uChicago about achieving sustainability in the business world in the summer of 2013. My classes are slowly coming to an end and I found what I have learnt to be so important that I want to share it to the world! I actually never blogged before because I honestly thought that it was pointlessNow, I know that some people believe that they are 1 in 7 billion and that their actions are insignificant to make a noticeable difference. This is sadly true. What if EVERYONE had this mentality? The answer: Nothing will be accomplished. Nothing, Nada, Rien. This is what I learned from Dr. Ted Steck: Imagine that impact, negative or positive, is determined by this equation: Impact = Population x Affluence x Technology (IPAT), If one factor out of P, A or T= 0, then Impact will be 0. My message to you all: By all means, no matter how small the action, do something. It can be anything, for example the effortless action of turning off the lights by flicking one light switch. To maximise impact, we need more people to make an effort. The government can easily make it mandatory to do things such as switching lights off, but I'd prefer that the government stays out of this. I believe that the media has sufficient resource to start making people take action. But right now, the media are putting very little effort to encourage this world to take action. I find it unbelievable and sad that the media covers the Kardashian family 692 times more than the environment. Isn't that unbelievable? Honestly, who the hell cares about the freaking Kardashians? In what way would what they do in their lives impact our lives? The media needs to change, but unfortunately, the media only responds to the people's demands, meaning that to change the media, we need to change the people's demands, which means that we have a problem. This problem can easily be solved if a few major news agencies have the will to do something. If CNN or BBC has the will to do something, millions of people will take action, meaning that demands for news will change, launching a snowball effect on the media and people's action.
I do not care wether you believe in things like global warming or climate change or not, but don't you think that we all have the right to breathe clean and harmless air, drink fresh and non-polluted water, and hear about people not being degraded and abused by firms?
Cheers,
Sidney
Very inspiring! Yes, for this to really work, initiatives must come not from the government but rather from the people.
ReplyDeleteThe thing about celebrity media is that that is entertainment for some, just like reality tv, youtube, or reading blogs is for others. What I'm saying is that we can't just blame the people entertained by celebrity media--they are just like any of us. The bad thing about celebrity media, however, is that it obstructs the info that we're looking for when being informed rather than entertained.
-Shannon, http://sustainabilityinthisworld.blogspot.com/
You are right Shannon! but people really should start caring more about the environment rather than the Kardashians. The world we live in is far more important than entertainment!
ReplyDelete